Saturday, August 18, 2007

Ceviche

This was my first attempt at ceviche, and it turned out pretty well. This recipe makes enough for an appetizer for about 4 people. Don and I actually just ate it as our dinner though.

1/2 lb tilapia
1/2 peeled, deveined shrimp
3 limes
1/4 grapefruit
cilantro
1/2 red onion
4 garlic cloves
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
Avocado

Just in case you aren't familiar with ceviche, do not cook the fish or shrimp. Cut the fish and shrimp finely. Add the juice of the limes and grapefruit. The acid from the citrus fruit is what cooks the fish. Chop other ingredients and add all but the onion to the fish and citrus juice mixture. Stir ingredients together and place red onion on top. Refrigerate for an hour. Stir red onion into mixture and garnish with avocado slices.

We ate ours with tortilla chips, but crackers work as well. I did not add a jalapeno to this since I don't like spicy hot food. If you do, I would suggest adding one. Next time I think I will also use 1/2 of a grapefruit instead of 1/4.

No comments: